Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Another project: Detroit Diesel 4-53T Conversion

A few weeks ago, I bought a 4-53T Silver in a Chevy C70 truck. The truck is in good shape but rear end is an Eaton 7.17 ratio! Yikes. The trans is a Spicer 5 speed without OD. I've looked into swapping a two speed rear but its not a wise investment IMHO. The local parts yard wants $1200 for a two rear end with 5.33 gearing.... no worth it for an old 2.5 ton truck.

Soooo... the new plan has begun.

This engine is coming out of the C70 and going into a 1996 Chevy 3500HD truck. First the 3500HD is getting a facelift. I've purchased a 2000 C1500 extended cab and that is replacing the 3500HD cab. The frame will need to be stretched 26" to accomodate the length of the extended cab but it will be worth it. This 2000 year cab has A/C, PW, PL, etc... all the things the work truck 3500HD didn't have. Also I have the front clip from the 2000 truck so this thing should look like a 2001 3500 with 19.5" rims and detroit under the hood once I get done.

You might ask.... geez that sounds expensive. why go to all this trouble? Well I drive a 2005 Dodge 3500 with 5.9L right now and I am tired of the poor mileage and high monthly loan payments. This 4-53T Detroit will run good, get better mileage, and is cheaper / easier to maintain. I'm not interested in making stupid power or tons of noise.... I just want a reliable daily driver that has modern amenities and can pull a gooseneck trailer.

I've worked on many Detroits so I'm not new to this.... The Detroit 2 strokes are a engine like no other.... I've seen these things run when they had no business even cranking over.

Today I got the cab off the 2000 C1500 frame. Tomorrow I'll be working on the stripping the 3500HD frame so that it can go off to the frame shop to be lengthened.

I'm going to use this blog to document the conversion... your comments are welcome.

Thomas

No comments: